My Story

"...Minerva lept out of Jupiter's skull, fully grown and dressed in full armor..." -New World Encyclopedia

Cephalaea's story starts in December of 2016. At the time, I had dabbled in the Etsy world before, but never had much success, as I was working while attending school full time, and that didn't leave much time to focus on my passion. I was a long-distance relationship, working 50+ hours a week, barely making tuition payments, and stressed beyond belief. So, despite the 5 year plan I had been religiously sticking to, I made the crazy decision to quit my jobs, take a semester off of school, and move away from snowy NH to sunny FL. I moved in with the boyfriend and his sweet puppy, got a job at a college in the library, and started up classes part time, with the university footing the bill.

Suddenly, my life went from 100 mph to slamming on the breaks. I had more free time on my hands than I'd ever had before, and decided to give Etsy another shot. I had been working as a sales and customer service manager in a spa for the past three years, and had learned an incredible amount about running a business under the guidance of the spa's owner. So, with a new perspective and a whole lot of optimism, I ordered some business cards, took some photos, and opened Cephalaea. 

The name Cephalaea is a Latin word meaning a persistent headache. The reason for this comes from the myth of Minerva's birth. Jupiter, recalling a prophesy that his child would overthrow him, swallowed a titaness he impregnated. She began to forge armor for her child from inside if him, giving him a splitting headache. To relieve it, Vulcan split Jupiter's skull with an axe. Out jumped his child Minerva, goddess of the arts, wearing the armor forged by her mother. Art has always been this way for me as well- a way to relieve a persistent headache, to de-stress and enjoy myself. I strive to share that with others through my shop, and hope you enjoy my creations!

Comments